The Pleasures of Being Outside
Summer is finally here! Yes, it may be hot. But, here are five (5) reasons to spend some time outside.
- Exercise. Going outside makes exercise feel easier. And, you exercise more, especially when you are surrounded by nature – trees, flowers, grass, and water. I am especially motivated when surrounded by water. Sometimes, I lose track of time and feel as if I could walk forever.
- Creativity. Nature increases brain function, thus stimulating creativity. When I am outside walking or running or just sitting, I have some of my best ideas.
- Vitamin D. Yes, too much sun is not good for you. But, a healthy dose of those sun rays can do wonders for your bones. So, reach for your sunscreen, grease up (even sisters of color need to protect their skin), and enjoy the great outdoors.
- Happier and healthier. Being outdoors can increase your happiness quotient. Nature and fresh air lift your spirit and changes your mood.
- Age gracefully. According to a study published in the Journal of Aging Health, getting outside on a daily basis may help older people stay healthy and functioning longer. Plus, if you are doing things with a group (hiking or walking, for example) you improve your social skills. I go outside every single day – if only for 10 or 15 minutes.
Additionally, I love being able to go out without being bundled up. My skin loves the feel of the sun. And, I feel even more alive. How about you? How do you feel when you are outside?